"Watercolor Intensity: Color & Contrast" with James Farrand
DATE/TIME: Saturday, October 11, 11am-4:30 pm.
CLASS IS FULL. FUTURE DATE TBA.
REGISTRATION: You can register for this class by calling in, coming in, or online. Scroll to the bottom of the page for online registration. 425.640.6408
LOCATION: ARTspot Studio - located in the back room of ARTspot, 408 Main Street, Edmonds, 98020.
WORKSHOP DESCRIPTION: Come watch, learn, and practice James’ techniques for achieving amazing color intensity and contrast (Yes! In Watercolor!). Workshop will include, pouring, squeezing, charging, glazing and will illustrate/implement Johannes Itten’s ‘7 Principles of Color Contrast’ including contrast of value, temperature, saturation.
SUPPLY LIST: You can pick up all your great art supplies at ARTspot. Registered students will receive a 10% discount on all their art supplies.
High quality brushes make a difference. James uses mostly Natural hair, and Natural/Synthetic Blend brushes. Recommend:
- 1 - Large round (or round/mop) soft natural hair (e.g. Silver Brush Black Velvet Jumbo Round Wash, Series 3025 - ‘Medium’)
- 1 - Medium round soft natural hair (e.g. Silver Brush Black Velvet Round Series 3000, #12 or #16)
- 1 - Small round synthetic (e.g. Simply Simmons/Princeton Snap/etc., #3 or #4)
- 1 - approx. 3” Flat Hake brush (multi-head Bamboo or Yasutomo)
- 1 - approx. 1” Flat Hake brush (multi-head Bamboo or Yasutomo)
- 1 - Small scrubber brush (e.g. Silver Brush Oval Filbert scrubber 1/4”)
High quality paint makes a difference. James uses Daniel Smith watercolors and recommends:
- Hansa Yellow Light
- Quinacridone Pink
- Quinacridone Gold
- Quinacridone Burnt Orange
- Ultramarine (or French Ultramarine) Blue
- Pthalo Blue (GS - ‘green shade’)
Medium to Large with individual wells, cover, and large mixing area. (e.g. 9-3/4" x 13-1/2" Jones Palette 'Kit' 2)
1 Full Sheet (22"x30") - Arches 300lb, Cold Press, Bright White watercolor paper (Cut into half and then half again - so end up with 4 - 11"x15" sheets)
1/2” Gatorboard, (or similar) large/dense/sturdy/waterproof enough to accommodate a taped down piece of watercolor paper between dimensions of 11" x 15" and 22" x 15")
small spray bottle, hair dryer, paper towels, rags, pencil (#2 school pencil is fine), masking tape, kneaded eraser, 3 containers for water (large yogurt containers or similar)
Sack lunch and water bottle — There will be a 30 minute break for lunch
ARTspot has: Two hairdryers & lots of containers for water to use.
Complete registration by checking out with the shopping cart in the upper right corner.